Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Life Moves

One April morning, about 6 ½ years ago, I woke up early, showered, dressed, and once readied, I left my small basement apartment.  I proceeded to walk directly north until I reached a bus stop.  After somewhat of wait I eventually boarded a bus into the dawn.  
This was the first of many a morning commute which I still continued to take until this day.  My starting location has changed several times but the destination has always remained the same.  Today's commute felt entirely different.

I know, I'm not the first and only person in the world that has been employed by the same company for over 6 years.  So, what's the big deal right?  Well, today, I am going to have the talk with my boss about what my goals and plans are; it is time for my annual performance review.  This has happened several times before, so what is the big deal? In answer that question: I am telling my employer that I am planning on becoming a full-time student this upcoming fall semester.

The company I work for is a family owned business that consists of a small taskforce; about 3 full-time brokers and 2 part-time brokers.  Our book of business is worth a substantial amount of which I don't feel comfortable about disclosing, so let's just say there is never a day where there is no work.  On the better staffed days we have 4 brokers in the office, on a typical day we have 2 & ½ brokers [I'll let you try and figure out what I mean by half a broker]. 
This company has employed me for over half a decade, allowed me to be considered like-family and has been both generous & understanding over the years.
The office operates pretty thin and it gets hectic and stressful at times, so leaving them short is something I'm not proud of.  But then I can't let that hold me back.
The performance review is my chance to let the company know of my future plans. 

We'll see how it goes.

Peace & Love, my friends.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover